Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Food: Final thoughts

We did it!

7 foods for 30 days with minimal seasoning.  Done, done, and done.  (Well, after lunch, that is.  We're breaking our food fast with dinner tonight.  Salmon, asparagus, wild rice, and frozen yogurt with toppings for dessert.)

I just reviewed my goals for the month and here is where I measure up.
  1. Waste not.  Use up all perishable items in the fridge that will expire during this month.  Eat garden produce so it doesn't go to waste.  Check out our empty fridge!  I dug up the rest of our red potatoes, onions and garlic.  We finished off the tomatoes and added green onions to things I otherwise never would have, like salad dressing and chicken soup.  We ate green beans until they were too stringy to enjoy anymore.   I experimented with rosemary and basil. 
  2. Throw away stuff we're never going to eat.  I cleaned out the freezer and threw things out that were already bad and taking up space.  I also took a bag of pantry items I wasn't going to use and put them on the sharing shelves at church.  Throw away unlabeled cans.  There are three cans left, and I'm going to open them and cook with them instead of throwing them out.
  3. Donate. Share food with the hungry.  Other than the small donation we made to church, I have unsuccessfully shared food with anyone in need.  Maybe I'll buy Safeway gift cards with the money we didn't use on eating out, and hand them out.  Where we came in under budget this month, makes up for where we've gone over budget in the past.
  4. Research. Educate myself about the food I eat and where it comes from.  We attended a two hour class, researched online, and watched food documentaries on Netflix.  In response, I purchased organic greens and free-range, vegetarian-fed chicken and eggs, which is something I hope to continue.
I have a coffee date with my husband planned for tomorrow morning, and a salmon dinner on the agenda for this evening to celebrate.

Next up: 7 clothes for 30 days.  Lord, help me to choose wisely!

No comments: