Thursday, October 23, 2008

Awards

I received two awards last week - both unexpected and within days of each other.
  • a guitar pick with the inscription "President's Pick" from the NCU President, with a hand-written note of encouragement. Thanks, President Wilson!
  • a "Beacon High 5" - a poster with notes of appreciation from each member of the NCU Admissions/Enrollment team
Recognition feels good, doesn't it?
These awards challenge me to do a better job of acknowledging the people I get to work with.

I remember being a senior at Fox and feeling so compelled to say "thank you" before I left. I thumbed through the Bruin and wrote down names of those who had either impacted me personally or in anyway I'd observed them express kindness to someone else. I never made it through my list (I came up with 50+ people!), but the the philosophy remains.

Most people really don't know they're doing a good job unless someone tells them they are.

No comments: