Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Awareness

It was supposed to be a small birthday party.
It turned into a rager.
Several freshmen attended.
Several others attended.
Things quickly escalated.
Things got out of hand.
People drank.
A lot.
People threw up.
People passed out.
They were carried to their dorm rooms.
They kept it quiet for a while.
Students talked.
Students posted pictures.
I heard about it.
I did something about it.

With my recent, intense desire and conviction to speak Truth, I couldn't not do something. I've felt so compelled to live a life of Truth and Purity. I have a burning urge to speak with greater boldness and urgency.

In every discussion I had with these residents, I communicated my heart to them. I explained that I'm not concerned with broken rules, just that I care about them. I love them. I want to see them live their lives in a way that glorifies the King. It's easy for me to say and it's not easy for them to receive. If they don't care about God, why would they want to live their lives any differently? I think if they knew Jesus, they would.

There has been quite a buzz around campus; many people are upset that they got called into our office.
As part of a Residence Life awareness activity, a few controversial statements were posted in a hallway with lots of foot traffic. Each statement left room for people to agree or disagree.

One such statement was:
"Consuming alcohol is usually not a good idea"

Responses varied:
"It's usually not a good idea when you don't know who you slept with the night before."
"This is school, not church."
"Stop treating us like kids - why do you care what we do off campus? It's our business."

A student explained to me that not everyone cares that I care. I was feeling discouraged; I was acting out of pure love for my residents and not only did they NOT get it, they didn't even want to get it.

It's so hard to be a "pioneer" to stand up for what I know is right, especially since it's never been addressed in the past. People are mad because they were caught and they used to get away with it. I feel like I'm trailblazing. Making a new path. It's a lot of work and often it's barely noticeable. A few are trampling down the grass behind me. Most are passing me up on the other path - it's easier to follow and much more popular.

Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God. - John 3:20-21

You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence. - Psalm 90:8

He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts. - 1 Corinthians 3:10

I remember my parent's advice when I pleaded "injustice" when I got scolded: "Life isn't fair"
And as they warned me about peer pressure, "What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

Thanks, mom and dad.

No comments: